Chief Operating Officer
Pacific Northwest, USA
About the company
Our client is a privately held environmental and engineering consulting firm with more than 120 employees in seven locations. They are a leading regional provider of environmental consulting services and solutions mainly in the states of Washington, Oregon, and California. They distinguish themselves from competitors by integrating superior technical expertise with a thorough understanding of client business goals, regulatory hurdles, economic matters, and legal issues to deliver differentiated solutions. They have a shared dedication and vision to service-oriented quality and superior work product. This has allowed them opportunities to work with a diverse clientele and on some of the most technically challenging and sophisticated projects in the industry.
Services they provide include environmental due diligence, contaminated site investigation and cleanup including sediments, engineering services, permitting and regulatory compliance, mediation, and litigation support. Private-sector clients (most of their business) include property and business owners, developers, attorneys, lenders, insurance companies, and industrial companies; public-sector clients include municipalities, ports, and state agencies. Roughly 50% of their revenue comes from due diligence (Phase I and II) and contaminated site investigation and cleanup projects.
As they plan to grow 10% each year, leadership has identified four strategic areas for the company to focus on: employee fulfillment, market and client diversification, ESG, and technology optimization. They are looking for a Chief Operating Officer to help achieve this success.
About this role
The COO is responsible for managing the firm's day-to-day operations, including implementing strategy, leading company-wide initiatives, and ensuring the achievement of company goals. This role is also an integral part of the Executive team, helping to set long-term strategy and short-term priorities.
This is an exciting leadership opportunity to join a growing, fully employee-owned firm.
Passion for Results
Drive Strategy into the Business Instill a Sense of Urgency
Builds Great Teams
- Manage all aspects of the firm’s day-to-day operations, including technical Operations team, Business Development, IT, Editing, Data & Graphics, and Health & Safety.
- Understand and contribute to the firm’s strategy, implementing specific tactical steps to achieve stated goals.
- Diagnose strengths and weaknesses of firm operations and develop action plans to solidify strengths and improve weaknesses.
- Identify opportunities for process improvements and implement initiatives to achieve the same.
- Communicate clearly with stakeholders at all company levels regarding vision, future plans, and areas of focus for the Operations team.
- Partner with the leadership team to ensure efficient and effective management of the firm to accomplish short- and long-term goals.
- Serve as a cultural champion, promoting and encouraging the firm’s culture and swiftly addressing or correcting cultural violations.
- Manage and coach direct reports to maximize their performance and encourage their professional growth.
- Recruit, hire, and train top talent when needed.
- Provide constructive feedback when needed, encouraging candor and directness.
- Support Regional Operations Managers in accomplishing regional goals.
- Deeply understand firm financials and how specific initiatives support or detract from metrics, partnering with the Finance team and other stakeholders to meet targets.
- Represent the firm and the leadership team professionally at all times, internally and externally.
- Attend and participate in industry events, staying abreast of trends impacting the firm’s industry and geographic footprint.
- Support M&A activity, including prospecting, due diligence, and integration of acquired targets.
- Demonstrate personal accountability and hold others to be accountable.
- Seek and support business development opportunities in partnership with others.
- Champion and model core values at all times.
- Bachelor’s degree in Science, Engineering, Business, or a related field and ten years’ experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A Master’s degree is a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with employees at all levels of the company.
- Extreme organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Proven track record of success in progressively responsible positions.
- Operations leadership experience in a professional services firm, environment, or engineering consulting is preferred.
- Strong leadership and coaching skills with a desire to help others grow and develop.
- Exceptional decision-making and problem-solving skills.
- Deep financial acumen. Previous experience managing a P&L is a plus.
Nicole Brown, Senior Director | +1 248.922.7691 | email@example.com
Cynthia Kaplan, Senior Recruiter | +1 312.447.3001 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Nic Karczewski, Senior Recruiter | +1 773.943.7756 | email@example.com Apply Now