Director of Business Development, US
Midwest, USA; Southwest, USA
Colorado; Illinois; Texas
About the company
Our client is a publicly traded European leader in renewable energy (onshore wind, offshore wind, solar, and energy storage) and has successfully developed approximately 3.5 GW of wind, solar, and energy storage. With close to 20 years in business, the company is well-positioned and has a strong track record of project acquisition, financing, procurement, construction, engineering, and asset management. The company has established a web of local and centralized operations.
The company is listed on the Nasdaq Stockholm and is valued at approximately $2 Billion. They are both cash-flow and EBIT positive, with minimal debt and a very strong project pipeline. They have been the #1 developer in Europe over the past five years and underwent the largest recent IPO in the Nordics after Ørsted.
The company's mission is to promote the global transition to a more sustainable future. After consolidating in Europe, the company is expanding into the United States due to its growth potential and its fit to the company’s strengths. The target goal is to make the United States the company’s single largest market in the medium term while also making a strong impact in the short term (approximately three years).
About this role
The company seeks a Director of Business Development with a commercial focus, strong business acumen, and excellent interpersonal skills to build relationships and networks internally and externally. The ideal candidate is curious and has a strategic mindset coupled with the ability to pivot quickly in a fast-changing and competitive business landscape.
This is a newly created position and a very unique opportunity for an individual with an entrepreneurial mindset to make a large impact at a well-established and highly successful development firm as they enter the US market.
- Contribute to profitability and shareholder returns with US business
- Source and acquire development opportunities through established industry contacts
- Lead and steer portfolio growth with a strong push on acquisitions and identifying strategic relationships
- Steer and progress projects/controlled portfolio up to reaching financial close
- Represent the company in the US across different stakeholders as needed
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to jointly evaluate potential transactions, participating in the economic evaluation and due diligence process
- Participate in negotiation and closing of transactions
- Continuously stress test market growth, strategy, and focus areas
- Enable a smooth interface with company committees, headquarters, and corporate functions
- Participate in any corporate representation bodies and/or assume any representation powers assigned to them
- 10-15 years of experience in expansion, including potential areas such as launch, ramp-up, business development, and M&A from the renewable sector in the US
- Extensive experience in origination in US markets
- Experience in managing co-development agreements and JVs
- Experience with the development of utility-scale solar, wind, and energy storage power projects
- Experience and track record of building and leading teams and coaching senior team members
- Experience and track record of establishing and developing US markets
- Ability to navigate and steer portfolio development in a bankable way
- Bachelor's Degree in Business Economics, Industrial Engineering & Management, or related field as a minimum; Master’s Degree preferred
- Good time management and organizational skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills