Senior Market Risk Analyst
About the company
Our client is a global company specializing in the gas, electricity, and petroleum sectors. Its wholly owned subsidiary in the US is involved in liquified natural gas (LNG), independent power production (IPP), and upstream oil and gas. It also engages in natural gas and power trading.
About this role
Due to the considerable growth and promotion of the incumbent, our client is seeking a Senior Market Risk Analyst based in Houston, Texas, with a deep understanding of the trading risks to support trading activities. This role reports directly to the Director of Risk Management.
The Senior Market Risk Analyst knows the how and why of the market movements. They will be responsible for maintaining the company’s market risk management framework and monitoring all trading-related risks within the wholesale natural gas and power trading markets, upstream natural gas production assets, and power generation assets. As the subject matter expert, they will work under the direction of the Director of Risk Management to keep management informed about market risk management issues.
- Monitors Market Impact on daily trades, daily positions, and risk status.
- Understands and explains positions, MtM, and P&L by each Business Unit.
- Responsible for Maintenance and improvements to the Risk Report, as well as daily commentary explaining changes.
- Maintains price curves and valuation methodologies and validates these curves and methodologies on an ongoing basis using Zema/Allegro.
- Understands the company's business and asset portfolio (especially power plants) to quantify the inherent risk, utilizing risk management tools.
- Point of contact for specific daily position and profit and loss responsibilities ensuring seamless daily execution and business support.
- Identifies, recommends, and implements process improvements that will result in greater efficiency and lower cost to support the business.
- Ensures compliance with control policies and trading standards as per Risk Policy.
- Supports the development of work processes and procedures necessary to ensure proper segregation of duties as well as other areas related to risk.
- Interfaces actively with the front office of each Business Unit to support their daily operations such as trade entry, scheduling, etc.
- Interfaces actively with the back office to support their stable and efficient operations, such as actualization, settlement, etc.
- Interfaces actively with the ETRM maintenance vendor to keep the system updated on each Business Unit's needs.
- Enhance the overall effectiveness of the Market Risk role through new process development and process improvement.
- Exhibits flexibility in work assignments; understands changing priorities and compressed project deadlines.
- Collaborates with the members of the other divisions.
- Complies with all Risk, Compliance, Legal and Corporate Policies.
- Establish and maintain a robust Market Risk Framework that follows industry best practices and demonstrates controls that proactively identify risks.
- Serves as a subject matter expert on risk mitigation techniques and presents them to facilitate discussion with necessary management.
- 6+ years of energy risk management experience in wholesale natural gas and power markets
- Experience with energy risk management in a liquid such as NGL/Oil/LNG
- Advanced knowledge of finance and risk management
- Basic knowledge of financial and tax accounting/legal requirements
- Mathematical, quantitative, and reasoning skills
- Proficiency in computing, Advanced MS Office, especially Excel; Familiarity with VBA code in Excel, SQL, etc.
- Experience with Energy Trading Risk Management applications
- Analytical, organizational, time-management, and reporting skills
- Strong listening, writing, and verbal communication skills
- Ability to manage and complete assigned projects and handle multiple activities, changing priorities
- Ability to cultivate and build relationships and perform business promptly and proactively with internal and external clients and multicultural teams
- Ability to work independently and in teams, and motivate others to a high level of performance
- Bachelor's degree in Finance, Business, Economics, Engineering, Math, or Computer Science.
- MBA or advanced Finance degree preferred
Cynthia Kaplan, Search Leader | +1 312.447.3001 | email@example.com
Nicole Brown, Senior Director | +1 248.922.7691 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Nic Karczewski, Senior Recruiter | +1 773.943.7756 | email@example.com Apply Now